Stay updated with the latest Other news, articles, and insights from trusted sources. Explore in-depth coverage and expert analysis on Other topics.

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday closed the proceedings before the Madhya Pradesh High Court against state minister Vijay Shah in connection with his remarks against Indian Army officer Colonel Sofiya Qureshi. The officer gained nationwide prominence along with another woman officer, Wing Commander Vyomika Singh, during the media briefings on Operation Sindoor. The matter came up before a bench comprising Justices Surya Kant and N Kotiswar Singh. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta informed the top court that parallel proceedings were going on before the High Court against the minister. The bench said that since it is now seized of the matter therefore the proceedings before the High Court stand closed. The bench said the interim directions passed on May 19, including the stay of arrest of Shah, stand extended. The bench asked for a status report from the special investigation team (SIT) that was constituted by the Madhya Pradesh government in compliance with the top court's earlier order. The bench noted that the SIT has seized some devices and started its investigation.
Story so far: India celebrated its 75th year of adoption of its Constitution on Tuesday (November 26, 2024) with President Droupadi Murmu addressing a joint session of parliament. While the Constitution of India hits its diamond jubilee this year, event commemorating is as 'Constitution Day' was started only in 2015. Prior to this, it was called 'National Law Day' -- first initiated by former Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA) president Laxmi Mall Singhvi in 1979. "The Indian Constitution is a live, progressive document," said Ms. Murmu adding, "I urge all citizens to imbibe the constitutio ...Read More >
New Delhi, Dec 11 (SocialNews.XYZ) Congress on Wednesday gave a notice to move a motion for the adjournment of the business of the Lok Sabha to discuss the recent statements made by a sitting judge of the Allahabad High Court. "I hereby give notice of my intention to ask for leave to move a motion for the adjournment of the business of the house for the purpose of discussing a definite matter of urgent importance, namely:- The recent statements made by a sitting judge of the Allahabad High Court..." said K. Suresh, Congress MP and party's Chief Whip in the Lower Hosue. He said in the notice ...Read More >
New Delhi [India], February 7 (ANI): The Delhi High Court on Friday reserved the order on an application moved by Baramulla MP Engineer Rashid seeking custody parole to attend ongoing parliament session amidst jurisdictional row. However, the National Investigation Agency (NIA), while opposing the custody parole, stated that Rashid Engineer does not need to respond to any questions. They emphasized that this request is generic and pointed out that Engineer has no speech to deliver. Senior Advocate Sidharth Luthra appeared for NIA also argued that taking an oath and campaigning are separate m ...Read More >

Kolkata (West Bengal) [India], June 27 (ANI): A female student was allegedly gang-raped inside a law college in Kolkata's Kasba on Wednesday evening. The police have arrested all three accused within 24 hours. The three accused, named as Monojit Mishra (31), Zaib Ahmed (19), and Pramit Mukhopadhyay (20), were former students or staff members of the same law college. Also Read | Student Gang-Raped at South Kolkata Law College: Police Arrest 3 Youths for Sexually Assaulting Young Woman Inside Law College. According to the police, the accused named in the FIR will be produced before the A.C.J. ...Read More >
NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Friday stayed an order of the Itanagar bench of Gauhati HC asking the Centre to deposit 50% of Rs 418 crore compensation, which the govt alleged was vitiated by forgery, for acquisition of 537 acres of land for defence projects in remote Indo-China border areas of Arunachal Pradesh.Appearing for the Union govt, additional solicitor general S D Sanjay told a bench led by Justice K V Viswanathan that one man forged and fabricated power of attorneys of 102 landowners and approached the Reference court for reassessment of the market value of the land, which the auth ...Read More >
The Supreme Court of India has said that mere harassment is not sufficient to hold someone guilty of the offence of abetting suicide, and there must be clear evidence of direct or indirect incitement. Photograph: ANI Photo The observations came from a bench of justices Vikram Nath and P B Varale which delivered its verdict on an appeal challenging a Gujarat high court order which refused to discharge a woman's husband and her two in-laws for allegedly harassing her and driving her to suicide. ...Read More >

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has charged five individuals, including goldy Brar, in relation to the 2024 Gurugram club bombing plot, as revealed in a recently filed chargesheet. This case involves a conspiracy to bomb two clubs, aiming to disrupt communal harmony in Haryana, with the banned terrorist group Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) implicated. The NIA's investigation highlights the severity of the plot. Those charged include satinderjit Singh (Goldy Brar), Sachin Talian, Ankit, Bhavish, and Randeep Singh. News Directory 3 provides crucial updates on sensitive cases such ...Read More >

New Delhi, June 8 (SocialNews.XYZ) The Supreme Court is slated to hear on Monday a plea filed by two journalists from Madhya Pradesh who were allegedly assaulted and abused at the instance of Bhind's Superintendent of Police over their reporting on "illegal sand mining" in the Chambal river. As per the causelist published on the website of the apex court, a bench of Justices Prashant Kumar Mishra and Manmohan will resume hearing the matter on June 9. On Wednesday, a bench of Justices Sanjay Karol and Satish Chandra Sharma issued notice on the writ petition filed by journalists Shashikant Jat ...Read More >

Hyderabad, June 8 (SocialNews.XYZ) Telangana's former Special Intelligence Bureau (SIB) chief T. Prabhakar Rao, a key accused in the phone tapping case, returned from the United States on Sunday. He is likely to appear before the Special Investigation Team (SIT) on Monday as per the undertaking given to the Supreme Court. The retired Indian Police Service (IPS) officer, who has been in the United States for 14 months, returned to India as directed recently by the apex court. He recently gave an undertaking to the Supreme Court that he will return to India soon after receiving emergency trav ...Read More >

New Delhi: Three Indian citizens vanished mysteriously in Tehran. Darkness closed in as hope seemed lost. A ruthless Pakistani gang with potential links to ISI snatched them away, casting a shadow of fear. But relentless Indian diplomats refused to back down. Against all odds, a daring rescue mission ignited. Now, the captives are free, and a chilling game of espionage comes to light. The Punjab-based trio - Amritpal Singh from Hoshiarpur, Jaspal Singh from SBS Nagar and Hushnapreet Singh from Sangrur - had landed in Iran on May 1. Promised a clandestine route to Australia via Dubai and Tehra ...Read More >

Indore, Jul 1 (PTI) The Madhya Pradesh High Court on Tuesday stayed the retest of candidates affected by power cuts at exam centres in Indore and Ujjain during the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET-UG) held on May 4 for admission to undergraduate medical courses. Justice Vivek Rusia and Justice Binod Kumar Dwivedi of the Indore bench of the high court gave this verdict after hearing the arguments of all the concerned parties on the appeal filed by the National Examination Agency (NTA), a lawyer representing the candidates said. The NTA had challenged the order of a single bench of ...Read More >

New Delhi, Dec 17 (UNI) The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld Madras High Court's November 20, 2024, order directing a CBI probe into the Kallakurichi hooch tragedy, which claimed the lives of 68 people in Tamil Nadu. A bench comprising Justice J.B. Pardiwala and Justice J. Mahadevan dismissed a special leave petition filed by the ruling DMK government, stating: "Having heard the learned Advocate General appearing for the petitioners and having gone through the materials on record, we see no good reason to interfere with the very well-reasoned judgment of the High Court." The High Court, in it ...Read More >
New Delhi [India], February 3 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Monday sought the Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) report on the examination of certain leaked audio tapes which allegedly implicate Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh for instigating ethnic violence in the state. A bench of Chief Justice of India Sanjiv Khanna and Justice Sanjay Kumar said the CFSL report should be submitted in six weeks in a sealed cover. Also Read | Bengaluru Water Crisis: Residents Brace for Harsh Summer As Groundwater Levels Drop Dangerously Low. The bench then posted the hearing in the week commenci ...Read More >
NEW DELHI: General Upendra Dwivedi is now on a four-day trip to Bhutan to further enhance the already close bilateral military ties, which come at a time when China continues to strengthen its military infrastructure in the Doklam plateau that saw a 73-day face-off between the Indian and Chinese armies in 2017.The Army chief will call on Bhutanese King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck and hold wide-ranging talks with Lt General Batoo Tshering, the chief operations officer of the Royal Bhutan Army, during the visit.Gen. Dwivedi will also interact with senior officials of the Indian embassy, the I ...Read More >

New Delhi, Jul 1 (PTI) The Delhi High Court on Tuesday set aside the decision of the sentence review board which had rejected a plea for premature release of Santosh Kumar Singh, who is serving life term for the 1996 rape and murder of law student Priyadarshini Mattoo. Justice Sanjeev Narula said there is an element of reformation in Singh and referred the matter back to the sentence review board (SRB) to consider afresh the convict's premature release plea. "I have found some element of reformation in him. The SRB decision is set aside and I have referred back the matter to SRB to consider ...Read More >
Kuldeep Singh Sengar is also serving a 10-year jail term in connection with the custodial death of the Unnao rape victim's father. Kuldeep Singh Sengar sought interim bail on the grounds that he was suffering from various ailments The Delhi High Court on Thursday granted a two-week interim bail on medical grounds to expelled BJP leader Kuldeep Singh Sengar who is serving life term for raping a minor in Uttar Pradesh's Unnao in 2017. A bench headed by Justice Prathiba M Singh suspended the sent ...Read More >
Punjab farmer leader Jagjit Singh Dallewal's hunger strike enters its 17th day. His health is critical. The Supreme Court urges dialogue between the government and Dallewal. Dallewal demands MSP guarantee and other farmer-centric issues. He has written an open letter to the Prime Minister. Farmers' organizations continue their protests at the Punjab-Haryana border.The Supreme Court on Friday expressed serious concern over the deteriorating health of Punjab farmer leader Jagjit Singh Dallewal, who ...Read More >

New Delhi [India], June 5 (ANI): The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), India, has taken suo motu cognizance of a press release issued by the Press Club of India, New Delhi, highlighting the alleged brutal assault of two journalists by police in Bhind district, Madhya Pradesh. The incident reportedly took place on May 1, 2025, under the supervision of the District Superintendent of Police. 'NHRC, India takes suo motu cognisance of the reported assault of two journalists by police in Bhind district, Madhya Pradesh,' in a post in X, NHRC stated. https://x.com/India_NHRC/status/193056213 ...Read More >

Bhopal: After decades of lingering uncertainty, the disposal of 307 tonnes of toxic waste (earlier 347 tonnes) from the infamous Union Carbide factory responsible for the Bhopal gas tragedy, has now been disposed. The Madhya Pradesh High Court had issued directives in this regard earlier to dispose it in maximum 72 days. "The process, which began from the evening of May 5 was completed on June 29 evening," a senior officer in the MP Pollution Control Board told IANS. It was burnt at a private facility in Pithampur in Dhar district near Indore, amid protests by locals. "The incineration proc ...Read More >
HYDERABAD: The Telangana govt on Monday issued a GO stating that there will be no fee hike for professional courses for the academic year 2025-26. The decision was based on the recommendations submitted by the Telangana Admission and Fee Regulatory Committee (TAFRC). The committee made three recommendations, of which one suggests that the existing fee structure fixed for the 2022-25 block period should continue until a new committee is constituted to review and revise fee parameters. "The govt may appoint a committee of officers to examine the parameters for fee fixation and suggest revised cr ...Read More >
New Delhi [India], January 22 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Wednesday issued notice to the Madhya Pradesh government on a plea seeking a CBI/SIT investigation into the murder of a 20-year-old Dalit woman along with her two family members in Madhya Pradesh's Sagar. A bench of Justices JK Maheshwari and Aravind Kumar sought a response from the Madhya Pradesh government and CBI on the plea also seeking immediate and effective police protection for the members of the family of the deceased. Also Read | Suicide Pact Tragedy: Pregnant Teenage Girl Jumps off 3rd Floor of Building in Surat, Lover Who ...Read More >

Pakistan's former Foreign Minister and Chairman of the Pakistan People's Party (PPP), Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, recently faced public embarrassment at a United Nations press briefing after he was fact-checked by a reporter for making unsubstantial claims that Muslims were being 'demonised' in India. Bilawal Bhutto, part of Islamabad's diplomatic team at the UN, made the remarks during a press conference to clarify Pakistan's stance on Kashmir. Pahalgam attack was politicised to demonise Indian Mus ...Read More >

New Delhi, June 6 (UNI) The Supreme Court on Friday declined to grant an urgent hearing to a petition challenging a Bombay High Court order that permitted animal sacrifice near a Dargah located within Vishalgad Fort in Maharashtra's Kolhapur district during the Bakr-Eid celebrations on June 7. The plea, mentioned before a vacation bench comprising justices Sanjay Karol and Satish Chandra Sharma, sought immediate intervention against the June 3 High Court order allowing the ritual sacrifice at the historically protected site. The petitioner's counsel argued that Vishalgad Fort is a notified p ...Read More >

Imphal, June 7 (UNI) Three militants were nabbed in separate incidents during the last 24 hours in Manipur, police said on Saturday. Manipur Police arrested a militant from Moidangpok Awang Leikai from Khumbong Bazar under Imphal West District, they said. Security forces arrested a militant from the Elangkhanpokpi Mayai Leikai area under Kakching district. Security forces apprehended a militant from Wangoo Samushang in Bishnupur district and elected members from Kumbi area. In an operation, one M16 rifle, one bolt-action rifle, three pull-mechanism rifles, three improvised mortars, and fiv ...Read More >

New Delhi [India], June 8 (ANI): BJP MP Gulam Ali Khatana, who was part of the all-party parliamentary delegation to Europe, said that during their recently conclued visit they successfully communicated India's development story and its resolute stand against terrorism, particularly emanating from Pakistan. Highlighting the delegation's key discussions during the tour, Khatana told ANI, 'We discussed how we dismantled the terrorism factory in Pakistan by responding... We also talked about tourism infrastructure, G20 Summit, and projects like the six-lane roads, bridges, solar initiatives, our ...Read More >

Bhubaneswar: A low-pressure area forming over the north Bay of Bengal and adjoining coastal areas of Bangladesh and West Bengal is expected to trigger heavy to very heavy rainfall across parts of Odisha through July 4, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said Saturday. An upper air cyclonic circulation currently persists over southwest Bangladesh and adjoining Gangetic West Bengal, extending up to 7.6 km above mean sea level and tilting southwestward with height, the IMD said. Under its influence, a low-pressure area is likely to develop over the region within the next 48 hours. The sy ...Read More >

Haridwar: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Sakshi Maharaj on Sunday demanded that hotel, dhaba and eatery owners on the Kanwar Yatra routes should display their names and identities on boards outside their business establishments. The owners, who hide their identities under fake names, on the Kanwar Yatra routes should not be spared, he told reporters here. "Tampering with faith of the Hindu devotees during the Kanwar Yatra will not be tolerated," said the Unnao MP. The food shops on the Kanwar Yatra routes should have a board outside with the names of their owners clearly written on them, h ...Read More >
The High Court in Bangladesh refused to issue a suo motu order to ban ISKCON's activities, after being informed of governmental actions taken. Legal authorities reported necessary measures are in place, while three cases involving a lawyer's murder and ISKCON's activities have led to 33 arrests. The High Court in Bangladesh chose not to issue a suo motu order banning the activities of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) following assurances from government officials that necessary actions have been taken. This decision came after Supreme Court lawyer Md Monir Uddin pr ...Read More >
New Delhi [India], February 3 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Monday sought the Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) report on the examination of certain leaked audio tapes which allegedly implicate Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh for instigating ethnic violence in the state. A bench of Chief Justice of India Sanjiv Khanna and Justice Sanjay Kumar said the CFSL report should be submitted in six weeks in a sealed cover. The bench then posted the hearing in the week commencing on March 24. "Relist in the week commencing on March 24, 2025. It is pointed out that audio clips are sent for ...Read More >

New Delhi, Jun 26 (PTI) The National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) and the Supreme Court's Mediation and Conciliation Project Committee (MCPC) will have a 90-day long "For the Nation" mediation campaign starting July 1 to settle pending cases. The pan-India mediation campaign would continue till September 30, 2025. Also Read | Udhampur Encounter: 1 Terrorist Killed in Gunfight With Security Forces in Jammu and Kashmir. "Mediation 'For the Nation' campaign is being launched across India to settle the pending cases and make people believe that mediation as a mechanism for dispute resolutio ...Read More >